Friday, July 27, 2012

I massaged a cat - and we liked it!

I am the proud owner of a few cats yet I've held off practicing massage on them because they're, well, cats!

I knew that my dogs would accept any attention or touch that I gave them and even with a few ouchy spots that they've told me about, the dogs have loved their massages. Even when I was brand new and had no idea if I was doing it right.

I wanted to have more confidence before I massaged a cat because I knew that if I didn't do it right I might not get another chance. I'm proud to say I'm confident enough in my technique that I tried it out on my kitty Maria.

Maria was an obvious choice for my "crash test kitty" because she's so very mellow and is almost dog-like in her love of attention. Maria is one of those kitties that drools when she's happy and was a limp purring slobber-ball when I was done with her. She quickly figured out that I wasn't just petting her and she was excited. She rolled her body strategically so that I could get to all of her parts. I wasn't sure how much pressure to use on a cat, she seemed so small and fragile compared to my big dogs. I found that I intuitively knew how much to press and where to do my strokes.

I know Maria and I are both looking forward to our next session!

No comments:

Post a Comment