Monday, May 28, 2012

30-Second Commercial

In sales, one is supposed to have a 30 second commercial ready to go so that when you're in an elevator and someone asks you what you do, you'll be prepared and sound intelligent. When I sold Creative Memories scrapbooking supplies my commercial sounded like "I help people get their photos organized into albums that are safe and meaningful."

I haven't written my commercial about massage yet. I really need to because while I believe in it with all my heart (and a sizable chunk of my money invested in tuition) I was not able to articulate anything about my passion while under the gun this weekend.

I was hanging out with a new friend and someone mentioned that I was back in school. I almost didn't want to tell her what I was doing because I knew that she wasn't going to understand. She's a lot of fun to hang out with because we both have very sarcastic and irreverent senses of humor so I should not have been surprised when she actually laughed out loud when I told her I was learning animal massage.

I babbled a few things about it being one of the oldest therapies and it's still in use today because it works. I tried to use some specific examples of ailments that can be helped with massage but it was falling on deaf ears. She seemed somewhat impressed with all the schooling involved and the anatomy that we cover, but in the end I put a funny spin on things making her laugh.

I'm going to have to do better if I want people to take me seriously and not think this is a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment